- Normal Autistic Phase (First few weeks of life; achieve equilibrium)
- Normal Symbiotic Phase (Up till around 5 months old; develop dim awareness of caretaker)
- Separation-Individuation Phase (divided into three phases:)
- Hatching (5-10 months; exit autistic shell)
- Practicing (10-16 months; locomotion and accompanying anxiety about separateness)
- Rapprochement (16-24 months; mobility, language, reuniting)
Will Margaret Mahler show up on the social work exam? Don't count on it. But...it's not unheard of. Good luck.
For further review: Margaret Mahler at Wikipedia; chart of stages via PsyEd.org