So, here are a few acronyms pulled from the web (original sources u/k). If you have others--known to the world, or creations of your own--please feel free to share them in comments.
Please use them with caution. These acronyms may end up creating confusion, not decreasing it. Feel free to ignore them completely. Instead of FAREAFI, when in doubt, go with your knowledge of the NASW Code of Ethics, go with your textbook social work learning, and go with your gut. It's a fair bet that more people pass that way than do using acronyms.
That said, here we go:
FAREAFI. This may come handy in FIRST and BEST questions--if unsure about what the FIRST/BEST intervention would be, start with F (feelings) and go from there):
- F: Feelings of the client be acknowledged first above all. Begin building rapport.
- A: Assess
- R: Refer
- E: Educate
- A: Advocate
- F: Facilitate
- I: Intervene
- A: Acknowledge client concerns and Assess
- S: Start where the patient is.
- P: Protect life.
- I: Intoxicated? Do not treat.
- R: Rule out medical issue.
- I: Informed consent.
- N: Non-judgmental.
- S: Support self-determination.